Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: Gold Star Kickstand

Gold Star Kickstand 9 years 6 months ago #927

• unkilmal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
The only thing I have to remind me of my 1959 Catalina Scrambler DBD34 is the kickstand I removed when I took it off the road and set it up for MX and enduros in 1970. I was thinking of writing about my experiences with the Goldie, but how could I make my poor writing interesting enough for the readers of our forum? I could offer the kickstand as a prize for reading my dribble. If I inserted a phrase somewhere in the piece, the first respondent to send it to me could win the kickstand. But would anybody want it? Well, it has served as reason enough, here in this forum, to write something. And it has continued to serve as a reminder of all the great times had on that ...... when I think about more modern dirt bikes ...... that massive and memorable machine.

mel schallot
Last Edit: 9 years 6 months ago by unkilmal. Reason: shouldn't rush to publish!
The administrator has disabled public write access.
The following user(s) said Thank You: Webmaster

Gold Star Kickstand 9 years 4 months ago #937

• Webmaster
  • Administrator
  • Thank you received: 15
Sorry for the delayed response, Mel. Please post every and any thought you may have in regard to BSA-experiences. We'd love to hear from you.
Yes, the Avatar image is an actual picture of me - back when I was younger and handsomer.

Gold Star Kickstand 9 years 1 month ago #1083

• firebirdman
  • Junior Boarder
hey,just write something and send it to that memership lady Barb Kubena. She could fix it up I bet, or maybe she send it two that guy that does the bSA club newsleter. He could clean it up to, I would bet

What Gold Star Kickstand was attached to 8 years 11 months ago #1144

• unkilmal
  • Fresh Boarder
I traded a funky C15 and a rebuild on a pre-unit 650 Triumph for a rattle trap DBD34 Catalina Scrambler. I thought I'd just mugged the guy and he was sure I was a simpleton for hauling it away and making such a deal. Rodger went to some fire station in a Florida beach town and I went to East Liverpool Central Service for three dollars and chump change an hour. Some time later when the wedges keeping the 650's mains from rapping shook loose Rodger was safely down on the beach and I was ruining another vertical twin lower end, this time my good friend's Royal Enfield 750. When I sent Rodger's crank to D&D Rebuilding for rod journal grinding my buddy Richie was off and some chump polished the main shaft down a couple thousands. That's why the wedges. Harry Linder's Enfield was in Dick Houser's shop where I was apprenticing and I remember thinking the shop manual couldn't be right with 15 ft lbs of torque specified for the rod bolts. The workshop was in his basement with a window looking out over his lower driveway and past to the street. Harry had just picked up his newly rebuilt 750 and about 20 minutes later he came pushing it back to the shop. "Mel, I think I blew it up!" I knew right then that the shop manual was right after all. That's about the way I've learned everything else in my life. I might fess up to Harry if I ever see him again.

Gold Star Kickstand Goes to Richmond Half Miler 8 years 11 months ago #1148

• unkilmal
  • Fresh Boarder
With Brother Tom behind me on the DBD34, Carl Miller on a hog and two other riding buddies on another hog and a Norton, we go to Richmond, Virginia through the night and all the blossom aromas and temperature inversions the spring weather could throw at us, for a professional half-miler. We get a great spot near a turn and Sammy Tanner puts on a show that rivals the sprint cars for drama. Coming back the Washington beltway is a weird limo racetrack around the federal political infield. Wet and exhausted, we all crash in one lovely old Victorian Pennsylvanian hotel in the mountains. It's a shame what the maid will face the next day. By the time Zeleionople has crawled under my front tire something awful has happened inside my Gold Star. The weird dam points had slipped over and detonatingly shorted on the blankedy blank guard that was supposed to do I don't know what. Later the cracked cast piston was replaced with a forged one. The magdyno and its blankedy blank points went file 13 and a normal Lucas magneto sat in its former spot through all the flying dirt and oozing mud that a new career as a dirt bike could throw at it. What was I thinking by putting the Goldie on the road in the first place?
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.076 seconds