Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC: GoldStar Kickstand Rescued By Dairy Farmer ,part 1

GoldStar Kickstand Rescued By Dairy Farmer ,part 1 8 years 8 months ago #1216

• unkilmal
  • Fresh Boarder
  • Thank you received: 3
Nicholson Brothers catalog the winter of '67/'68 offered a German ice racing face mask with a brass screen to cover your mouth and nose. Come to think about it, my goggles and face shield didn't fog up. Maybe the brass cooled my hot breath thereby stopping it from condensing on what I was wearing for eye protection. I ordered one from Saskatoon to go along with the Barbour suit of waxed black Egyptian cotton that served for what synthetics do today. I thought it looked quite spiffy in 1967 while now I'd admit it favors some of the suits sewer workers wear. Work boots, Harley fleece-lined mittens and a Bell open face helmet finished my winter riding outfit. I considered the continuity of brass snaps on the Barbour suit with the brass screen of the winter mask as very stylish. Isn't it funny that a working class lad who spent almost his entire life in stained denim would consider such details of his appearance. And absolutely I was very particular about what accessories hung off my 500 BSA. It's outlining shape I considered elegantly masculine and no dippy scooter mirror was going to spoil it. Sitting on the seat the profile of the front end from a rider's perspective was equally important to me. I loved that lean and narrow look as you gazed down at the forks and wheel. I have a modern dirt bike and it's respective profile is awful. The radiator scoops are blocking that forward profile. When I look at pictures of me on the Gold Star that long narrow look is what I expect. Imagine what I'd look like in one of these bubble-head modern helmets in those old pics?

So I entered the frozen winter scene of 1967 attired quite nattily with the help of Nicholson Brothers of Saskatoon and BSA of England and made what I thought was a stunning dark outline against the white of the Global Cooling with my, dare I say, macho machine. The game was, as always was and still is with me, to make as much of life as possible into a pleasant pasttime. My objective more immediately was to get to work at New Castle Triumph Honda as many days as possible via motorcycle. Of course back then at a tender 23 years of age my job was a pleasure. I almost would have worked there for nothing. Actually I did work there for almost nothing. And the ride to and from work during that, by todays standards, extreme weather of '67/'68 was wonderful. Can I count the ways that I loved to break loose my back tire in the myriad varieties of frozen stuff that falls from the sky? Not hardly. Did other events happen on those joyfully frozen escapades, oh yes and I'll relate one of those in GoldStar Kickstand Rescued By Dairy Farmer Part 2.
The administrator has disabled public write access.
  • Page:
Time to create page: 0.065 seconds